Since his father’s call sign is “Early Bird,” I’m not sure this is a surprise. I’m writing this from the Birthing Inn at Loudoun Inova Hospital. Next to me, in a small bassinet, is Jacob Hayden Gafford.

My water broke at 4am on Monday, March 29th. I got up to use the bathroom and the fluid just wouldn’t stop. I called my midwife, then my parents, and jumped in the shower. We spent the week prior getting all the “necessary” items from the registries, so I guess Jacob decided it was okay to come into this world.

We made our way to the hospital and my contractions had started, but they weren’t really strong enough for me to feel (or to know that the feeling I was having were actually contractions). When I got here, I was dilated to 1 centimeter, 50% effaced. A few hours later, I was only 2 centimeters, but 80% effaced. The midwife suggested we start pitocin to see if we could get some regular dilation happening. After 9.5 hours, the contractions were coming fast; no break in between them at some points. I was checked again and had made NO PROGRESS! I decided it was time for an epidural.

We finally got Hayden on Skype at this point, so for most of the “happy” part of labor, we were laughing and chatting. He was there to hear the midwife’s recommendations along the way and to offer me encouragement.

Four hours after the epidural, I had still not made any progress.  Poor Jacob was trying to squeeze his head through a 2 centimeter hole. His heart beat was erratic. He didn’t like it when I was on my left side; he didn’t like it when I was on my back. We tried the right side since that is where he had been comfortable before, but now he wasn’t happy there either. We decided to do a c-section.

The doctor who was going to lead my c-section decided it would be okay to have Hayden, via Skype, in the operating room with us! My mom was my coach, manned with the camera, while Hayden was able to look on through the wonders of technology. It was amazing. As soon as they pulled Jacob out, and he started crying, they showed him to the computer! Hayden got the first good look at our son. It was so special to have him there with me even though he was thousands of miles away.

As I was being put back together, mom and Hayden accompanied Jacob to get his first bath and footprints in the nursery. It wasn’t until three hours later that I finally got to see my son and hold him. I might be a little biased, but he’s one darn cute little guy. For being three weeks early, he sure fills out a baby’s body well!

Welcome, Jacob Hayden Gafford
March 29, 2010 at 6:10pm
7 pounds 10.5 ounces and 19 inches long