“They certainly give very strange names to diseases.” –Plato

Seriously? I think my son has a pain tolerance of a Titan. A month or so ago he had a raging ear infection. We had no idea. Finally, his fever spiked at daycare and we took him to the doctor. We think he was struggling with it for about three weeks. Oops, live and learn!

The past two nights Jacob went from sleeping 11ish hours at night to waking up a few times.  Thinking we needed to watch for signs of an ear infection, we paid close attention to his ears. Well, it doesn’t make it any easier that he plays “peek-a-boo” by covering his ears instead of his eyes. That’s a picture for another post! After a rough night last night, Hayden made him a doctor appointment.

About 30 minutes after his appointment started, Hayden called me at work. I heard, “He has fluid on his” and I automatically filled in the rest of the sentence in my head. Obviously he had fluid on his ears–we are awesome parents. We figured it out; we jumped the gun and he won’t have to suffer.

Wait, what did Hayden say? He has fluid on his LUNGS?! How the heck did that go from ear infection to this? Hayden and my dad took him to get x-rays of his lungs. They weren’t sure if it was bronchitis or pneumonia. I got the call a little later: pneumonia.

Thankfully, the doctor didn’t prescribe the nebulizer. Unfortunately, she called in two antibiotics to the pharmacy. When I went to pick them up I was told it would be 15 minutes. So I killed time in Harris Teeter and ended up buying lots of impulse buys and good stuff for dinner tomorrow. I mean, come on, I’ll be home all day tomorrow…I need cookie dough! I went back to pick up the medicine and that’s when the pharmacist told me about the two antibiotics. No big deal, I think…just pick one and give it to me.  I’ll call the doctor in the morning and straighten everything out.

Nope, not going to happen. Apparently the antibiotics were two different strengths and we needed a doctor to decide. Hayden called the on-call doctor, he called Hayden back, Hayden called me, I did the hokey pokey and turned myself around. So, to make a long story a little bit shorter, I spent 1.5 hours at the pharmacy, bought cookie dough, and paid close to $50 for name brand medicine because they were out of the generic.

But I would do it all again in a heartbeat for my little Titan. Man, I love that kid!